This past couple of days I’ve been having a series of discussions with a client interested in an account on Instagram social media network.
Mind you, the client already has a thriving community on Facebook. They also exist on Twitter and LinkedIn.
So the question now is: Do they “need” to be on Instagram?
In this post, I’m not going into the benefits of your brand is on Instagram. That’s an article for another day.
Instead, I will consider some reasons your brand does not need Instagram. But these are my suggestions. And you’re free to disagree (please do so in the comment section below).
The nature of my job requires that I have an in-depth knowledge of all the essential social networks out there.
I often experiment with existing and emerging social media platforms to see their potential for my clients.
This research is one reason that led me in the past to explore social networks like MySpace.
But once I’ve finished my research, I shut down these accounts if I don’t see any tangible benefits for me. Shutting these accounts down is so that I can channel my time and resources elsewhere.
Let’s see some reasons I would suggest that your brand need not be on the Instagram social media network.
- What’s your goal for Instagram?
- Do you want to get additional followers on another social network?
- Are you looking to drive traffic to your website or blog?
- Are you looking to create an awareness of your brand on social media?
- What type of content will you publish on Instagram?
- Will you be cross-promoting content from your other social networks?
- Do you have the time and resources to create new and unprecedented content on Instagram?
- Are you going to rely on user-generated content from your target audience?
- Will you curate other people’s content?
- How will you measure your performance on Instagram?
- What will be your KPI (Key Performance Indicators)?
- Do you have the time and resources to invest in starting and growing a new online community?
Please spend some time pondering these questions. If you can come up with clear-cut goals for your corporate presence on Instagram, then that’s a good start. If not, then maybe your brand is not meant for Instagram.
Fashion, food, entertainment, and media. These industries always have something new to discuss.
They are never at a loss as to having content to post to their Instagram account.
Like comparable social networks, Instagram has its uniqueness. Instagram users seek new content from the brands they follow.
If your brand does not relate to any of the above industries, then you probably will not do well on Instagram social media network.
But if you still insist, then you need to exercise caution or at least have an excellent strategy before you jump on the Instagram bandwagon.
Social media marketing is not a game. And the way you present your brand on social media can have far-reaching consequences for organisations.
As an organisation, you’re responsible for your staff, management and different stakeholders within and outside the organisation.
If yours is a personal brand and you want to use Instagram to create awareness, no problem.
But if yours is a corporate/business brand, then you need to exercise additional caution.
Instagram is an excellent platform for most businesses. You need to be creative when creating content.
Schedule a meeting if you want to explore growing your business online using Instagram or any other social media platforms.