With the dramatic growth of social media as an essential marketing tool for businesses this past couple of years, business owners like you need to show a keen interest in understanding social media marketing.
Now is the time for you to consider having a social media strategy because you need to know how to empower your business with social media marketing.
What is Social Media Marketing?
In this article, I define social media marketing as comprising activities like creating and posting texts, photos, audio and videos that drive engagement with your target audience. It also involves reaching an active user on a social platform through paid advertisement.
According to this, some people will use various applications to spot opportunities, network career opportunities, find people across the globe with like interests, and share their thoughts, feelings, insight, and emotions on a social media site.
For businesses, social media presents vast opportunities to promote their goods, services or content. Social media is a powerful channel for marketers to create two-way conversations with potential customers.
While social media works well for some countries and organisations, it will not work for everyone. How you approach it will depend on your business. Therefore, you need a social media marketing strategy before you consider setting up a social media account for your business on any social media platform.
A great example of how social media differs from one country to another is, according to this article, China’s social-media users not only are more active than those of any other country but also, in over 80% of all cases, have many social media accounts, with local players (compared with only 39% in Japan).
This appetite for all things social has spawned a dizzying array of companies, many with tools more advanced than those in the West: for example, Chinese users could embed multimedia content in social media over 18 months before Twitter users could do so in the United States.
Each social-media and e-commerce platform has at least two major local players: in microblogging (or weibo), for example, Sina Weibo and Tencent Weibo; in social networking, several companies, including Renren and Kaixin001.
Below, I summarise what social media platform you should use.
Share this Image On Your Site.
- Social Networks: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Sina Weibo, Snapchat, Pinterest, Reddit, YouTube, Xing, Flickr, Quora, Tumblr.
- Social Streaming: YouTube, Spotify, iTunes, Netflix, LiveStream, UStream, DaCast, StreamShark, Facebook live, Periscope, Funny or Die, Crackle
- Social Search: SocialMention, Social Searcher, Pipl, Technorati, Keyhole. Co, Hashtracking, Tagboard. Facebook Search, Twitter Advanced Search, Twazzup, Bing Social.
- Social Knowledge: Wikipedia, Britannica, Reddit, Quora, Khan Academy, TED-Ed, Crash Course, Mental Floss, Science Daily, How Stuff Works, Space.com, History.com. Biography.com, LiveScience, DuckDuckGo, Wolfram|Alpha, Google Scholar, CodeAcademy
- Social Blogging: Blogger, Tumblr, Medium, WordPress.com, Ghost, Wix, Silverback, Pistachio, Svbtle, Yola, Edublogs, LiveJournal, Weebly, Pen.io, your personal/company blog
- Social Customer Service: Amazon Customer Reviews, Angie’s List, Trustpilot, ConsumerReports, TripAdvisor, Yelp, TrustRadius, Foursquare, Get Satisfaction, Twitter, Social Commerce Reviews.
- Social Publishing: Buzzfeed, Huffington Post, Google Display/Network Publishers, Blogs, General/Media Sites, Niche Sites.
- Social Bookmarking: Scoop it, Slashdot, Digg, StumbleUpon/Mixx, Pocket, Pinterest, Reddit.
When highlighting brands mentioned above, one impressive social media platform stands out from other existing social media sites .i.e. Facebook.
Over one billion people are using Facebook! This amount shows why as a social media channel, Facebook shows an excellent potential for marketers and brands to reach their target customer.
Another impressive thing to note about Facebook is that it is a vast and active platform, and one of the best marketing channels.
People log in to their accounts daily to check messages. They like and share social posts and use this social media website as a communication tool to communicate with friends and brands.
What sets Facebook apart from the other social platforms is its high technology capabilities. One area that’s worth looking into is Facebook advertisements.
Facebook advertising is a vibrant and robust tool to enhance your social media presence. You can use it for brand awareness to get your branded content or user generated content in front of those who are more than likely to engage and convert.
The declining organic reach of social media posts on Facebook has resulted in the thriving of paid ads. Especially for brands serious about understanding social media and using it as a social channel to promote their services and products.
But, as with any pay per click (PPC) campaign, you need to have a marketing strategy in place. Lots of businesses give up on Facebook advertisements too soon because of the reduced engagement rate, conversion rates or because they do not see the clear picture through their social strategy.Facebook advertising is a vibrant and robust tool. You can use it to get your content in front of those who are more than likely to engage and convert. Click To Tweet
Tips for Social Media Advertising
Are you interested in launching a successful social media marketing campaign? Follow these tips.
Facebook ads come with a neat feature called audience insights. It allows you to fine-tune your target audience.
You select your prospect’s interest. After that, it collects data and utilises it to enhance your campaign.
The targeting criteria is extensive. It allows you to choose demographics such as gender, age and location.These days, mass marketing rarely works. Consumers want to feel connected with any brands they buy. Click To Tweet
Do not group different criteria. You’ve got a better chance of converting prospects by targeting a specific interest.
These days, mass marketing rarely works. Consumers want to feel connected with any brands they buy.
Separating your campaigns will also give invaluable insights into who’s converting.
Don’t make too many changes to your campaign. If you change too many things too fast, you can’t determine what caused your ad drive to improve or decline.
It also takes some time for Facebook’s algorithm to adjust to changes, so patience is critical.
Pay close attention to your analytics. Track what needs updating. Pay attention to data such as age, gender, devices and regions of your conversions.
Also, there’s an ad relevance score. This score tells you on a scale of 1 to 10 how relevant your ad is to the target audience you have selected.
The Role of Digital Agencies in Social Media Marketing
On a positive side, digital agencies that offer social media management services can help you see the full picture. They can help you develop a plan and manage your social media marketing for you. They can also help you with creating great content and ensuring consistent branding on posted content.
As a business owner, you may not be familiar with some intricate aspects of social media marketing such as influencer marketing, email marketing, creating engaging content such as visual content, video content or the impact of social media marketing on your search engine optimisation. Hiring a digital agency can help to improve your marketing efforts, especially in a post-COVID-19 business environment.
Digital agencies can also help you with your lead generation, calculating performance metrics, posting content, creating a social profile and other activities that will help you meet your marketing objectives.
Do You Need Further Help in Understanding Social Media Marketing?
From all the above information, do you see the importance of understanding social media marketing?
Social media marketing is the modern-day version of word-of-mouth advertising. One of the biggest mistakes you can make in your business is to ignore the potential of growing your business online on leading platforms and reaching current customers or your next customer.
If your target market is young people, then you need to focus on using relevant content in your social media marketing campaigns to reach them at the right time and through the right social media channels.
Social media marketing is not only about using social media management tools to create promotional posts and schedule them on your social media calendar. It is about using various digital channels and social media networks to connect and engage with your target market.
- Do you need more clarification?
- Do you need help with your social media marketing strategy?
- Or do you need help with your social media marketing plan and creating social content?
- Do you know how to calculate your return on investment in social media marketing?
- Which social network is essential to your business?
- Are you using data from your social media analytics to improve your social engagement, social presence and brand image?
- Do you need help with your marketing efforts in general?
A lot of the information you need to know about your audience to influence your marketing strategy is already at your fingertips. An effective marketing strategy comes from data. Let us help you discover this data for your marketing strategy.
Contact us today. We can help with improving not only your social strategy but your strategy to reach potential customers.
Subscribe to our blog for more tips to help you get a better understanding of your social marketing. You will also receive lots of tips on digital marketing, content marketing, search engine optimisation and much more.
- 5 Ways to Use Visual Storytelling in Your Marketing
- What are some B2B lead generation strategies specific to the Nigerian market?
- 7 Signs That You Should Invest in Social Media Marketing
- The Best Social Media Management Tools for Business
- How to Be Successful at Social Media Marketing
- How To Market On Social Media
Did you like the article? Please pin it!