What is the future of content marketing? This is the question we answer in our title article for this week’s marketing digest.
Let’s get started.
Holiday 2020 Is Do or Die for Many SMBs
As COVID cases surge to their highest levels in months, concerned consumers may wind up spending most of their Q4 holiday dollars online and not in stores.
- Yelp also identifies the most “resilient” places in the U.S., as measured by growth in new business openings from Q2 to Q3.
- Yelp data reflect that businesses across a range of verticals also reopened in September.
- Financial services also reopened in Q3 (banks, insurance companies, tax services) as did retail stores, according to Yelp.
- According to an early October consumer survey of over 5,000 U.S. adults from Alignable, 32% of respondents said they would spend more money at locally owned businesses in Q4.
Full article: https://searchengineland.com/holiday-2020-is-do-or-die-for-many-smbs-342739
SEO Best Practices When Using GIFs
Google wants to know what is playing behind this rich media file with proper alt tags, descriptive filenames, relevant image contexts, image captions, and associated links.
- They can also be bad for accessibility–you have to make sure GIFs meet accessibility guidelines.
- Use descriptive filenames and alt text, and make sure the GIFs work with the surrounding text.
- For example, Google’s best practice guidelines for publishing images, including GIF files, say not to include on-image text, since it won’t get indexed.
10 Mistakes to Avoid When Writing Your Meta Descriptions
Meta descriptions still very much matter as they makeup and/or contribute to a significant portion of content displayed in the search engine results.
- Mistake 1: Meta Descriptions Which Are Too Long
- Mistake 2: Meta Descriptions Which Are Too Short
- Mistake 3: Meta Description Is Inconsistent with Page Content
- Mistake 4: A Lack of Relevant Keywords
- Mistake 5: Description Duplication
Google Answers If Site Section Can Impact Ranking Score of Entire Site
Core Web Vitals are a group of speed and user experience metrics that together show whether a web page presents a poor user experience or gives visitors an ideal web browsing experience.
- The publisher wanted to know if the forum section would cause the rest of the site to suffer in rankings once the Core Web Vitals become a ranking factor.
- Mueller mentions that if a site makes it easy for Google to understand the different sections of a site, that they are separate, then that will help Google understand that different sections are not a part of each other and then understand (and rank) them better.
- John Mueller then recommended using Google Search Console to see how individual URLs affect the rest of the site.
Marsbot is Foursquare for AirPods
With Marsbot, a new offering from Foursquare’s experimental products group, they have reinvented Foursquare for audio.
- As users walk around town, Marsbot “will proactively whisper things to you you may find interesting.
- A basic use case involves being in a restaurant (in the future) and getting tips about menu items in your ear.
The Future of Content Marketing? (Spoiler: It Doesn’t Require Doing More)
It’s time for us to put the artistry back in what we do and create things we feel are going to be valuable for our customers
- The truth told over time – multiple times in different rooms to different people – can change the world.
- If your ideas pass the pressure test, you’ll have a better chance of getting your audience to remember the important parts: people don’t remember content, they remember ideas.
- For example, create parameters around your content brainstorm sessions to limit the conversation and let the group focus on what really matters.
- One great way to deepen community relationships is through content.
As usual, I will love to know what you think about this week’s marketing digest. In the meantime, stay safe.
- Why You Must Be Thinking about Content Marketing
- Content Marketing Tactics to Increase Your Audience Engagement
- 12 Common Content Marketing Mistakes to Avoid Immediately
- The Best Advice about Content Marketing You Have Ever Heard
Did you like the article? Please pin it!