It’s official that Google now counts your website’s speed as a ranking factor.
Though this might not mean much for broadband internet users, there are still a lot of people out there using dial-up, and this would be a welcome new for them too.
So what are some of the things that website owners can do to improve the speed of their websites? We have listed a few of them below.
If you designed your site yourself, then implementing some of these would not be a problem. Else you can get your website designer to implement these suggestions for you.
- If your site uses tables or nested tables for layout, then you should consider Using CSS instead as this will eventually make it load a lot faster.
- If you find repeats of a particular script across several web pages on your website, then you ought to replace them with a single external text and link all the necessary pages to the single script file.
- Put your website on a diet and remove anything that you don’t need. In terms of web design/development less usually means more. It makes your site look more professional.
- Instead of having one long page with loads of information crammed into it, consider instead breaking up that single page into several short pages as this will eventually make your site load faster and look more professional.
- Keep your code clean and remove a lot of unnecessary code that bloats the weight of your page.
- They say a ‘picture is worth a thousand words’ and this is true. But please do not overdo it by placing several pictures on your web page as this would only slow down your website.
- Reduce the file size of your pictures using graphic design software like photoshop etc. before using them on your website.
Now a lot of businesses need to redesign their existing websites and ensure that their website’s speed and mobile friendliness are vital factors to be considered in the process.
If you need advice on how to go about redesigning your existing website or develop a new site from scratch to be speedy and mobile friendly, contact us, and we would be glad to help!