Are you considering online shopping as a safer alternative to shopping in-store? Learn how to shop online safely. Protect yourself against fraud with these tips.
As mentioned here, it is convenient, easy and quick. We can shop when we want, compare prices and have our purchases delivered to our front doors. Best of all, there are no lines or supermarket parking lots to negotiate online. What’s not to like?
While most online transactions will be uneventful, security on those purchases is not a given, so don’t take it for granted.
With the increased volume of online shopping, consumers must understand the potential security risks and know how to protect themselves from scammers.If you have an online shop, make sure you prepare for a big spike in shopping activity during the holidays. Click To Tweet
I have compiled a list of useful tips to help make sure you have a safe shopping experience not just during the holiday season, but all year round.
- Use the latest version of your preferred web browser. Ensure your computer has up-to-date antivirus software.
- To protect your personal information, don’t shop in public or on a public Wi-Fi network. Do your shopping in the privacy of your own home using your personal computer or mobile device. If you need to do something sensitive while you are online, make sure you use a virtual private network (VPN).
- Know the name or reputation of any company you’re shopping with and the items. Read reviews to learn what others are saying about the merchant.
- Trust your instincts. If you do not feel comfortable shopping on a particular website, don’t!
- Look for third-party seals of approval, e.g. BBB and TRUSTe seals, etc. These seals show if they abide by a set of rigorous standards, such as how they use your personal information, e.g. your email address and password. If you see the seals, click them to make sure they link to the organisation that created them. Some merchants use these seals on their website without permission.
- Limit yourself to secure sites only. You can tell if a website is secure by the URL in your browser’s address bar. A secure website starts with HTTPS:// instead of HTTP://. Shopping safe platforms will also have a small closed padlock icon in the lower-right corner of the screen.
- Pay with a credit card. If possible, use a dedicated card for your shopping. Unlike debit cards, credit cards give you an extra level of protection. It also gives you the right to “chargeback” if you feel you’re a victim of fraud. Your credit company will investigate your claim and remove fraudulent charges. Check your card statements for unauthorized charges.
- Many shopping sites offer you the ability to save your card details. It’s not a bad idea. But what if someone has hacked their website? Your card would be open to unscrupulous persons. So don’t store your credit card information on the online store’s website.
- If anything goes wrong and you have an unsatisfactory shopping experience, contact the merchant about their service. Reputable merchants will try to resolve the issue. You can also contact your bank or credit card company, if applicable. If you suspect a law broken, you may file a complaint with the relevant law enforcement agencies. If you still don’t find a solution, take your business elsewhere in the future.
10 Tips for Safe Online Shopping – InfographicOnline shopping is safe and convenient, but you must take steps to protect yourself. Click To Tweet
Ensure you practice safe shopping with these tips above so you can protect yourself and your information.
Online shopping is safe and convenient, but you must take steps to protect yourself. Adopt best practices for using your credit cards and protecting yourself online.
Put these tips into practice. They will help you have a pleasant and safe experience.
Online business owners must not forget about cybersecurity too! The coming weeks will see a big spike in shopping activities. It will help if you put security measures in place to protect your shoppers.With the increased volume of online shopping, consumers must understand the potential security risks and know how to protect themselves from scammers. Click To Tweet
If you have an online shop, make sure you prepare for a big spike in shopping activity during the holidays.
Shopping online may not be workable for everyone and every item. So if you find that you still have to shop in-store for groceries, etc., stay safe, practice social distancing and wear your face covering because of COVID.
According to this article, washing your hands with soap and water is the best way to clean them, reduce the risk of infection and curtail the spread of COVID-19. But when you don’t have access to a sink, hand sanitizer or disinfecting spray with at least 60% alcohol is a suitable alternative. Keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer or disinfecting wipes handy for easy access whenever you go grocery shopping. Make use of e payments alternatives and self-checkout options where available.
Did you find these tips for safe online shopping useful? If so, please share it with your friends using the buttons below.
- How Much Does It Cost to Build a Website in Nigeria?
- How to Place Your Business Safely on the Internet
Did you like the article? Please pin it!