Email marketing is one of the oldest digital marketing channels in existence. It is still going strong despite rumours to the contrary. Email marketing is one of the digital marketing trends to watch in 2016. There are some brands that have misconceptions about email marketing. Here are five common misconceptions about email marketing.
The larger your email list the better
Gone are the days when brands grow a massive email list and blast messages to their subscribers. Technology has advanced and your focus should be on having a targeted email list. The more targeted and personalised your email is the more relevant it will be. This makes your email marketing look more professional.
Your email subject line is not important
Do not write their email and slap a subject line on it without giving much thought to the subject line. You need to spend time in crafting the subject line of your email newsletter. A good email subject line is brief and not sales-dominated. Do not to use language that that is spammy.
The more images in your email the better
It is true that a picture is worth a thousand words. But this does not mean that you should go overboard with images in your newsletter. By default most ISP block images in emails by default. So the text of your email is as important as the image that accompanies it. Use the 80:20 rule with 80% of your email content being text whilst the remaining 20% is images. These are some of the things that will make your email look more professional.
Readers unsubscribing from your list is bad
Sometimes if a reader unsubscribes from your mailing list it can be a good thing. For example, if a reader finds your content is no longer relevant, he will unsubscribe. This will help to trim down and cleanse your mailing list. If you keep a mailing list of only those to whom your message has value it will be better for you at the end of the day.
Consumers are drowning in emails from brands
Consumers receive many emails from brands on a daily basis. If your email provides value they will read it and share it with their friends. So brands need to provide valuable content in every email they send to subscribers.
These are just a few of the misconceptions about email marketing. But like all things digital marketing you have to do your own research. Conduct your research to find out how email marketing affects your own particular business. Let me know if these misconceptions are true in your own case or not.
Need help with your digital and social media marketing?